What Does It Take to Become an Adoptive Family
November 8, 2017
Becoming an adoptive family is a big decision and Rebekah Children’s Services is here to support you through each step of the process. There are two questions we are first asked by anyone interested in growing their family through adoption. Today we will answer these two pressing and important questions!
The first is, "What are the requirements to become an adoptive family?"
What are the requirements to become an adoptive family?
To become an adoptive or foster family you must:
- Be over the age of 21,
- Own or rent a home with adequate space for a child,
- Be financially stable enough to support a child (the monthly stipend typically does not cover all of a child's needs),
- Pass a fingerprint clearance covering the Department of Justice, FBI, and Child Abuse Index (or qualify for an exemption),
- Be ready to work as a team for the benefit of the child, and
- Understand that parenting will be one of the most rewarding and challenging experiences in your life.
If you reside in the counties of Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Benito, San Mateo, or Alameda, then Rebekah Children's Services can help you become an adoptive family.
Which leads us to the second question, "What are the steps to becoming an adoptive family?"
What are the steps to becoming an adoptive family?
We strive to make the experience and positive one for you and your growing family and the steps are the same for both our prospective adoptive and foster families. Here are the steps we could walk with you through.
- Attend a one-on-one orientation meeting.
- Attend an initial Interview with one of our social workers who will help make the right match for you and your family.
- Complete an application and background check.
- Attend our Pre-Service Training which is free for all of our adoptive and foster families.
- Participate in a Family Assessment which gives us a little more information to help us find the child or children you will love and welcome into your family.
- With all the requirements met and the above steps completed, we will work with you to find and place the child or children who will join and expand your family.
Do you have more questions for us about this process? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or call us at (408) 871-4962.
Interested in becoming an adoptive family?